Welcome to the Blog!
September 2019: I was speaking about The Psychology of Smoking Cessation at the Smoking Cessation & Mental Health Summit at the Royal College of Medicine, London. Here I am ( third from right as you look at picture!) with the other speakers. I spoke about the ways smoking contributes to the development and maintenance of mental health conditions and why it is so important to help people stop using evidence based psychological and pharmacological treatments #stolenyears.
August 2019: The Willpower Workshop was a sell-out at the World Congress in Berlin in July 2019. Participants were from Germany, Latvia, Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, France and Brazil. And here was a book signing afterwards! Photo is me in author mode with colleague from Croatia.
- March 2019. Delighted to take on the role of chair of the British Psychological Society’s Faculty of Addictions. This sits in the Division of Clinical Psychology and aims to promote evidence based approaches and improve understanding and outcomes in the broad field of addiction and substance misuse. Follow on @BPS_Addictions
- February 2019. The Willpower Workshop continues on its Grand Tour! After visits to The Hague, Stockholm, Ljubljana and Sofia it is due in Berlin at the World Congress of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies in 17th -20th July 2019
- January 2019.I was interviewed for this article on willpower and New Year resolutions in the Guardian. Happy New Year!
- December 2018. I was talking about psychosocial interventions in addiction Friday 7th December at the America Square Conference Centre, 1 America Square, 17 Crosswall, London EC3 N 2LB ( Tower Hill Tube) more details: willpower http://www.mahealthcareevents.co.uk/addictions2018 This was a welcome opportunity for update for all health and social care workers, and a chance to meet up with former colleagues.
The Willpower Workshop was well attended in Sofia, Bulgaria at the European Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies annual congress 7th September 2018 : http://www.eabct2018.org/ More details here: http://eabct2018.org/lecturers/frank-ryan
- Next workshop planned for Berlin, July 2019 : http://www.wcbct2019.org
You can download a FREE copy of a book I co-edited by following this link ( now with over 65,000 views!):
It is based on an innovative approach to understanding the origin and treatment of mental health conditions known as the Research Domains Criteria